A lot of you guys have asked about Create & Cultivate!
Last week I told you allllllll about Michael’s jorts incident in Dallas, so today I figured we’d do sort of a part 2 Dallas…& talk about the conference ( especially for anyone who was unable to attend ).
By they way, it’s such a bummer if you wanted to attend & couldn’t make it. I know some of you guys live super far away OR you wanted to come but it was sold out ( Crazy!!! This conference always sells out because it’s THAT good ). Regardless, I hope this gives you a peek into the whole experience.
Alright let’s break it down, shall we?
The night before the conference, all of the speakers had dinner together. The food was awesome & the vibe was spot on. It was really nice to meet other women in the digital space ( I think Michael was the only guy there? HA ).
But let’s get to the event: I spoke on a panel called ‘Brand Vibes: How To Create A Brand That Lives Beyond The Blog Bubble’.
This panel could not have been more perfect for me because when I launched The Skinny Confidential, I launched the blog as a foundation for the brand.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a true blue blogger & always will be, BUT I wanted to start small, THINK BIG. Hence the brand.
The panel was moderated by Vanessa Flaherty of Digital Brand Architects. The other panelists included Camille Styles of Camille Styles, Julia Engel of Gal Meets Glam, Mary Seng of Happily Grey, & Sophia Rivka Rossi of Hello Giggles…& of course, me.
It was super cool to be amongst such a powerful group of women. Each of us is very different but we all had/have one goal in common: BUILDING A BRAND THAT LIVES BEYOND THE BLOG.
( Also, for the record each panelists was LOVELY. Every one of the girls was humble, down to earth, & very sweet ).
SOOOoo, we shared our experiences with the audience.
Let’s put it this way: I definitely didn’t hold back.
We each introduced ourselves ( I think you guys know me well enough now so we’ll skip that whole bit ) & then everyone went on to share their story of blog to brand.
I spoke about supporting myself as a bartender, teaching Pure Barre & Pilates while attaining my degree at SDSU ( more here ) and planning TSC. Honestly I looked out into the amazing crowd of women ( YOU ) & could tell there were many girls who were busting their asses while launching their blogs…so that was COOL to let those women know “Hey I get it, hang in there. KEEP GOING.”
Anyway, I spoke about how while yes, I was busting ass, I was also building TSC…in a Trapper Keeper at night.
Slowly, strategically, & carefully.
After about a year of planning, The Skinny Confidential was born…& the rest was history!
We were also asked “how did we strategically grow our brands?”
This was my favorite question BECAUSE I feel like strategy is SO very important. If you’re interested in that whole explanation, check out this post on my Upside Down Triangle theory.
Then we were asked about balance & how to find private time…this one is interesting because it is certainly a juggling act…but I try VERY hard to maintain private aspects of life.
Although it may seem like more ( or less? ) I share about 60% percent of my life. The other 40% is kept for family, friends, Michael, & myself! BUT on the same note, I LOVE to talk about taboo shit.
Well shit, no surprises there.
Vanessa then went on to ask about growing pains ( UM, YES ), brand collaborations ( ONLY IF THEY FIT WELL WITH MY AESTHETIC AND READERSHIP! ), & next steps in the business ( STAY TUNED ).
Lastly we were asked about our biggest moment as influencers.
…This question was funny for me.
My book release and launch was amazing & definitely a big moment BUT there’s been no like AH-HA! OMG I MADE IT! moment.
I chip away everyday, slow & steady, carefully, with strong focus. So no, there’s never this HUGE jump. No epiphany. None of that.
& that’s how I believe something bigger than yourself happens— it’s like an hourglass. Slow. Steady. One piece of sand at a time.
When the hourglass fills up, you turn it over again & keep chipping away.
Nothing happens overnight.
After we spoke I taught a ‘Flat Lay Instagram Tutorial’ with Bar III Clothing in another area which was fun & light hearted, and just really the perfect end to the day. Maybe I’ll recap this part too on the blog if you guys want?
SO. That was Create & Cultivate! I definitely wanted to bring you guys along via TSC if you weren’t able to attend, so TA-DA.
Other highlights in Dallas: TSC Bombshell Body Guide…in my hotel room, Hotel Zaza’s bar/restaurant, & the decor at Create + Cultivate ( it was to die )…cactus macaroons scream Pinterest in every which way though, no?
If you have ANY questions on the below or C & C, leave them below!
Hope to meet some of you at the next conference.
Until tomorrow, lauryn x